Criminal Bg

Criminal Defense

Personal Injury

Family Bg

Family Law

Requesting A Modification To A Family Court Order

Many family law issues conclude when a judge reaches a final ruling. The ruling might be fair on the day it was created, but courts know that it might not be fair forever. Therefore, when circumstances change, you can request a modification.

A modification can help you achieve your financial needs or family goals. Changing a family court order is not simple, but Sindel Noble can take your side throughout the process. With over 75 years of experience, our family law attorneys have the knowledge and training to raise your chances of getting a successful modification.

Child Custody, Alimony And Child Support Modifications

Court orders that affect children or finances, such as spousal maintenance or child support, require specific reasons before the court approves a modification.

Possible reasons to modify – or terminate – a child support order or spousal maintenance order can include:

  • Additional financial or care needs of the child over time
  • A new job that offers significantly higher or lower income
  • A new disability that limits income opportunities
  • A new degree, which typically increases earning capacity
  • Financial stability of the support-receiving party
  • A new marriage or domestic situation

Child custody modifications are also difficult to obtain. One of the reasons to modify a child custody order is to save the child from probable danger, such as domestic abuse. Another potential reason is parental relocation. If you plan to move, you may need to adjust your parenting plan to account for the distance between both parents’ homes.

Giving a realistic argument in favor of a modification can help you convince a court why a change is reasonable. Because these orders are usually long-term solutions, the court might push back against your request. However, we can advocate for a fair outcome for you.

Gain Professional Advice At Our Firm

Even if both parties agree to a different arrangement, court orders are legally binding. You must abide by an existing order until you complete the entire process and achieve a new order.

Our skilled lawyers can clearly communicate your needs and interests to the court. Email us or call 314-499-1282 (toll-free: 866-489-5504) to contact our St. Louis office for a free consultation.