Sex Crimes FAQ

Common Questions About Sex Crime Charges And Convictions

For more than 75 years, Richard H. Sindel, Inc., has successfully protected the rights and freedom of many clients in the St. Louis area and throughout the state. If you face sex crime charges or are under investigation, let us answer your legal questions. We can give you judgment-free advice. Call 314-721-7113 or email our firm today.

What is the age of consent?

Illicit sexual activity with a minor may involve:

  • Indecent exposure
  • Rape
  • Statutory rape
  • Sexting

In Missouri, the age of consent is 17. An adult who engages in sexual activity with someone under the age of 17 can face charges of statutory rape, statutory sodomy or child molestation.

What type of information is included in sex offender registration?

Registered sex offenders are required by law to provide very personal information, including their names, addresses and photographs. When a registered sex offender moves, he or she must provide his or her change of address to law enforcement, which will be updated on the public registry.

This information is made available to the public. Because everyone who must register as a sex offender loses a significant degree of privacy, it is important to get a strong legal defense if you are charged with a sex crime.

Are there valid defenses to internet sex crime charges?

It is vital to use effective defense strategies when facing internet sex crimes, including:

  • Viewing child pornography
  • Trading child pornography
  • Solicitation of a minor
  • Sexting
  • Luring or traveling to meet a minor
  • Promoting or paying for prostitution

Charges can arise from sexual activity taking place in online chat rooms or in formats such as photos, videos and downloads. However, online activity can happen under your identity or on your computer without your knowledge.

Additionally, adults may engage in online activity with others who are assumed to be consenting adults. Other users can easily lie about their age or other information. In these cases, your lawyer can help you argue that you did not know you would commit a crime beforehand.

If I am found not guilty of a sex crime, will it still be on my criminal record?

Sex crimes, particularly sex crimes involving children, carry a heavy amount of social stigma. For those who have been wrongly accused of child molestation or another sex crime involving a child, the stigma can affect them for years.

If you were found not guilty of committing a sex crime, talk with our experienced attorneys about expunging or sealing your criminal record. It may be possible to have your arrest record erased or made inaccessible to the public. When someone runs a background check on you, the expunged crime will no longer be visible.